

Christopher's Godfather (Rob) is a Junior at Virginia Tech. He, thankfully was not a victim of Mondays shootings. When I first heard of the shootings I was not overly concerned because I knew Rob was not on campus and in my head I thought this was probably not a random act and Rob was in no danger. I know, selfish and I do feel bad for thinking that way at first. Then, as the day unfolds it was 20 students and faculty killed, then 25, then 33 including the killer. I knew Rob again was not in danger but his friends were and so was his spirit. He would now forever be afraid to be on campus, the place he loves, the place he has called home for 3 years. This breaks my heart. College should be the one time in your life when you are old enough to make dumb choices and young enough to be forgiven, the 1 time, the 1st time you live on your own and have no real concerns except passing classes and when the next party is. Care free for the most part and then this happens. Some kid who obviously needed help kills 32 people. How is this fair, what happens now to those who survived, those who for 1 reason or another were not on campus? For the next 60 years they will be haunted by this event. Some will NEVER be the same and this is all very very sad to me. Some will drop out, some will never step foot on VT campus again and will transfer to another school "A safe school". Could this happen anywhere, sure, but it happened to them so anywhere but there is a "safe school".
My heart goes out to the families, my heart hurts for the students of VT.
I would never home school Christopher but right now, at this moment, it sounds like a really good idea.